After the fabulous edition that was Verge 2012: Inverse, Verge is back and looking for submissions right now!
Celebrating the notion that Verge was conceived as a means of providing publication opportunities to people on the verge, the 2013 theme of the anthology is ‘Becoming’. We’re looking for work that engages with this theme in a unique an interesting way. For example, French Post-Structuralist thinkers Gilles Deleuze and Félix Guattari hold that humans are not confined to an essential humanness distinct from our environment, but rather through experiencing our environment we become with it: “We are not in the world,” they remark, “we become with the world. … Everything is vision, becoming. We become universes. Becoming animal, plant, molecular, becoming zero” (What is Philosophy? 169).
1. Submissions are open to everyone, both internationally and within Australia.
2. All submissions must be unpublished. This includes online and self-published pieces.
3. People submitting poetry may submit up to seven poems. People submitting fiction or non-fiction prose may submit two pieces and those submitting art may submit up to three pieces.
4. All prose, whether fiction or non-fiction, must be no more than 3,000 words.
5. No more than 5% of an entry may be in a language other than English.
6. All entries must engage with the theme of ‘Becoming’. Unthemed submissions will not be considered.
7. All submissions must be sent as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your full name, the category of your submission and the title of your first piece.
8. Please send all work as either a .doc or .docx (written entries) or .pdf (visual entries). All visual entries must be at least 300 dpi at actual size and all cover entries must be created using InDesign.
9. Please note that this is not a paid publication. It does, however, provide a rare opportunity to have your work refereed by academics and writers.
The deadline for all submissions is the 31st of March 2013
Good luck everyone!